Thursday, November 15, 2012

Tough Love

Last Friday evening was belt promotion for 3-9 y.o. and I was honored to be asked to shoot it. The instructor is an amazingly gifted teacher and gave this little guy special attention and words of encouragement to increase his chances of succeeding. In the end, despite everyone's heartbreak, he fell short of securing his belt. This time. I felt bad for the little guy but thought back on my martial arts days and remembered how much I appreciated the lessons of tough love I got to know so well. Life is indeed full of fun, happiness and good times. It's also fraught with pain, suffering and unfairness. Although I lose to the negatives periodically, I'm confident I'd lose more often if it wasn't for those lessons of tough love I learned as a child.

No comments:

Post a Comment